Monday, July 14, 2008

SoCal Day 2

As I've come to find out... The church is true everywhere. Manhattan. Seattle. Island Park. Portland. Anaheim. Every crazy place I've been to church, the Spirit was still present. We visited the Yorba Linda 5th Ward today, Steven's favorite ward on his mission. After only a few minutes there, it was easy to see why it was a favorite. I guess the best evaluation of a missionary can be by those who he served and served with. Based on this assessment, Steven did a phenomenal job on his mission. Not a person passed without expressing their love and appreciation for the work he did. I'm quite proud of him.
After church we needed replenishment, and against my input, we went directly to In-N-Out without changing. I was quite afraid I'd see my seminary teacher or something, so I tried to "disguise" myself as a non-Mormon as much as I could. I took off my tie, 
became grateful I hadn't shaved, and even considered sagging my church slacks beneath my rear. I decided against that last part. I must say I definitely enjoyed the In-N-Out. It was sinfully
(haha I make myself chuckle) good.
Later in the day, Steven decided to take us on a mystery trip through his mission. Our first stop on this tour was the Newport Beach temple. It's quite gorgeous. I really love being near the temples. They're special buildings with an amazing purpose. I got 
some nice pictures of the grounds. The one at the top is of a sego lilly on the grounds. Yes, that is Utah's state flower! I knew it was on the tip of your tongue. And there's a pretty funny one of Becca. Since she's not the biggest fan of having her picture taken, she often has uncooperative expressions. This is the pinnacle of 
 those expressions. 
Seeing as how the Newport Beach is so close to the, umm, Newport Beach, we couldn't get away without a quick visit. There's something special about watching the sunset by the ocean that just isn't duplicated much anywhere else. I must thank my mom for some of the pictures she took of it. I decided to leave my camera in the car. Good call by me, eh?
We then went to Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. It's a restaurant based on Forrest Gump. Whoever thought of the whole movie/restaurant tie in is a genius. Pure genius. Without the restaurant, DVD and VHS sales have got to be low, making the studio little money. With the restaurant? Not only did we spend quite a chunk of change on dinner, we also bought a copy of Forrest Gump. This has to be at least our third copy. Genius I tell you. I'd love to see a real Star Wars Cantina, complete with live band. Or instead of Medieval Times from last night, something out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That would be much more entertaining. Steven just kinda gave me a look as he put down his head on his pillow, which look I'm assuming means, "Quit typing so stinking loud Daniel, and go to sleep." I think I'll oblige.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey this is Sydney Parker!!! I like that pic of bec and the beach pic is really pretty!!!! hope you guys are having lots and lots of fun!!!!!! how was disney land???

Bridget said...

Wow. I don't know much about Sydney but she sure loves exclamation points and question marks.

Let me know when you open up that Monty Python restaurant. I'd like to make a reservation for five.