Saturday, July 12, 2008

SoCal Day 1

So here on my first night at the hotel on our trip to California, I had two options. I could use the exercise room and get myself in better shape, or write a blog post. I chose the latter. And also because I have so entitled this post with a number, I guess I'm going to have to write a new post every day. Or it will bother me. Which also means I probably won't exercise any of the days. Oh well. This is probably going to be a very picture filled blog. But I'm okay with that. Pictures say a thousand words, they say. And they say it much nicer than I would.
We began our day much too early, if you ask me. I have been accustomed to waking up at oh, 10ish if I wanted. I was up at 5:30 this morning. Those of you who are hardened by many sleepless days would call this a piece of cake. I would not. I did manage to grab a bit of shuteye on the plane, often at the expense of falling over onto Ben. I doubt he enjoyed that too much.
Once in Salt Lake for our connecting flight, we were able to enjoy a bit of a layover.
 Ben and I decided to hunt out some breakfast, choosing to dine on the Breakfast of Champions--no, not Wheaties--Sbarro's pizza. It was delish! Shortly afterward I snapped this picture of a happy Ben. I definitely enjoy it.
Our flight continued onto John Wayne's airport over here in Orange County. The snacks they gave on our plane tasted like health food, but without the redeeming qualities of it. 
I wasn't too pleased. I came to appreciate how dry Boise is as soon as I stepped off the airplane. The air was all of a sudden quite thick to breathe. I began scurrying for the air conditioning of the terminal. I quickly gained a new appreciation for Steven's diligence in tracting out Cali in such weather. 
To honor my main man (well, my dad's main man) John Wayne, I'm including this picture of his statue. 
It's fitting he's in front of an American flag. Nothing says America quite like the statue of a man who was never a cowboy, but dressed up and acted like one. That's the real American Dream. Acting like a cowboy.
We later sat in our hotel and discussed what we were going to do on our trip. I definitely advise going on trips without any set plan beforehand. It's just wise. Steven listed the things he wanted to show. They were all restaurants. And speaking of them, our first sampling of California was of Wahoo's Fish Tacos. I was pretty impressed. And I'm still burping up the delicious leftover acid from them. The evening's next plans were to... Go to dinner. At Medieval Times. To burn up the time and the calories we had just consumed, we went shopping. Toward the end, Steven and Mom were frighteningly close to dropping. Medieval Times is an interesting place. 
They "treat" you to dinner and a show, the dinner being something that would be best enjoyed by someone without taste buds, and the show being something that would be best enjoyed either by fantasy novel buffs or inebriates. Either way, it was a lot of fun. I've been there before, and I was suspiciously familiar with the plot of the show. I guess they don't change much in four years! And to be honest, why would they? You can tell from the picture just how excited we were. Our bellies full and our appetites for Middle Age action satiated, we returned to our hotel. The day is done.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

Thanks for the update. I am so happy you had Sbarro's in the airport. That is my favorite chain pizza joint. Growing up in NJ I have an affinity for New York style pizza.

Why is Ben looking so old to me in these pictures?

That made me laugh to read that Steven's list consisted of restaurants, restaurants and more restaurants.

And by the way, why aren't Steven and Ben starting blogs? And no Becca in the pictures? She is on vacation with you guys, right?

Mitch said...

sounds like fun! Pizza for breakfast sounds good to me. Why are all of Steven's favorite places restaurants???

Daniel said...

Steven isnt starting a blog because he has Facebook. Ben isnt starting one because he thinks they're stupid. And of course Becca is here with us! She just hates taking pictures. And Steven likes restaurants because he loves food. And that's it!